This learning program prepares direct service staff to better understand and assist parents who have cognitive and developmental limitations. During this training, learners are trained how to modify motivational interviewing skills to support these families from a strengths-based viewpoint. Additionally, the program provides details on the particular rights of parents with cognitive and other developmental limitations. Before attending this instructor-led training, learners must complete all course prerequisites listed below and an online pre-test.
Who Should Attend?
Direct service staff and supervisors working in Child Protection, Prevention or Foster Care services.
- Better understand the rights of parents with cognitive and other developmental limitations.
- Be trained how to identify common signs and characteristics of these limitations.
- Better understand how these limitations can impact parenting and service provision.
- Be able to identify appropriate services and support as they prepare recommendations and referrals.
- Be trained to modify their motivational interviewing skills to communicate more effectively with a person who has cognitive limitation.
Prior to attending this course, learners are required to have completed the Motivational Interviewing learning program offered through the ACS Workforce Institute or equivalent.
Once enrolled in the course, learners will complete:
- An online pre-test.
- A one-day, instructor-led workshop.
- An online post-test.
Completion of all components is necessary to receive a Certificate of Completion.
Continuing Education Units
The New York City Administration for Children’s Services is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0402. This course is 6.5 contact hours/0.65 CEUs. CEU credit is contingent upon completion of all course components.
Register for this course by logging in to Cornerstone, browse for the course name and complete all information. For more information about the ACS Workforce Institute