This learning program prepares learners to apply the policies and best practices that promote the safety, permanency and well-being of LGBTQAI+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, Asexual, Intersex, and many more) youths involved with ACS and contracted providers. During this course, learners practice creating affirming environments where all are respected regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. Before attending this virtual, instructor-led training, learners must complete an online pre-test.
Who Should Attend?
Direct service staff, supervisors and managers working in the Division of Child Protection (DCP), Foster Care services, Prevention services or the Division of Youth and Family Justice (DYFJ).
- Demonstrate behaviors that cultivate LGBTQAI+ affirming and inclusive environments within ACS and provider agencies.
- Adopt practices that are in alignment with ACS’s affirming policies while engaging young people that are or may be LGBTQAI+.
- Be able to support staff in managing issues that arise with parents, foster parents and caregivers of LGBTQIA+ youths.
- Implement strategies that improve outcomes for LGBTQAI+ youth involved with ACS and provider agencies.
- Commit to practicing LGBTQAI+ affirming strategies.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Once enrolled in the course, learners will complete:
- An online pre-test.
- Two half-day, virtual, instructor-led workshops.
- An online post-test.
Completion of all components is necessary to receive a Certificate of Completion.
Continuing Education Units
The New York City Administration for Children’s Services is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0402. This course is 8 contact hours/0.80 CEUs. CEU credit is contingent upon completion of all course components.
Register for this course by logging in to Cornerstone, browse for the course name and complete all information. For more information about the ACS Workforce Institute, please contact the Help Desk at WIhelpdesk@acs.nyc.gov or call (212) 748-1898.