This learning program allows Prevention services Case Planners to participate in practice scenarios, simulations, and structured on-the-job experiences to learn more about their job responsibilities and the role they play in the Child Welfare system. Prevention services Case Planners are trained how to integrate cultural humility, critical thinking, strengths-based engagement and trauma-informed practice into their everyday work with families. Learners also gain insight into how their role intersects with Child Protective Specialists, attorneys and other collateral roles to maintain a focus on the safety, permanency and well-being of children and their families. Before attending this instructor-led training, learners must complete an online pre-test each week.
Who Should Attend?
Newly hired Prevention services Case Planners and those without prior formal onboarding, working in all Prevention services programs, including General Prevention, Family Treatment/Rehabilitation (FTR) and evidence-informed/based models.
Week One of this program is mandatory for all newly hired Prevention services Case Planners. Agencies that provide an onboarding program to their newly hired Prevention services Case Planners are eligible to substitute weeks two and/or three, contingent upon approval by the ACS Workforce Institute.
- Gain clarity on their role and responsibilities within the context of the Child Welfare system.
- Be trained how to partner with families to create plans that address safety, behavioral change and well-being.
- Apply critical thinking techniques to casework to improve outcomes for families.
- Better understand how to incorporate cultural humility into their work with families.
- Build relationships to improve assessments using strengths-based engagement.
There are no prerequisites for this program.
Once enrolled in the course, learners will complete:
- A pre-test at the beginning of each week.
- Three weeks (10 days) of learning.
- A post-test at the end of each week.
Completion of all components is necessary to receive a Certificate of Completion.
Continuing Education Units
There are no CEUs associated with this course.
Register for this course by logging in to Cornerstone, browse for the course name and complete all information. For more information about the ACS Workforce Institute, please contact the Help Desk at WIhelpdesk@acs.nyc.gov or call (212) 748-1898.